Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Week One - Can you survive in Silicon Valley without a smart phone?

HOME
First, some pics of my trip home and my adventures there:
Gilbert AZ Temple

 A quilt I made for my friend who is having a baby in July!


Pics from the 4-wheeler ride




This was practically the first question that I was asked when I arrived in San Jose. So far, I have survived...not that I haven't had to have someone right there with one, but I haven't had to personally use it. I may even get one from work, we'll see. So, I am here. I can't believe it and I kind of feel like I have been here forever. Here's a play by play of the last week of the tall girl's life. 

SATURDAY
Craziest day ever! Goodness. The airport was jam packed! This picture doesn't even do it justice. I arrived approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes before my flight. I ran through security and made it to my plane as they were calling my name wondering where I was. I was terrified I was going to miss my flight to San Jose.
Of course, my bags were checked late and there was no guarantee I would get them to San Jose on my flight. As I am sitting on the plane, with sweat dripping down my face and a need to go to the bathroom, I looked out the window to see my bags get put on the plane! What a miracle. As soon as the seatbelt sign went off, I was up and to the potty. It practically killed me. It was a little more stressful beginning than I expected. 

I arrived in San Jose and Papa's cousin picked me up from the airport. We stopped at my new place and then headed to their house for a BBQ. It was fun to meet some long lost cousins and I was happy to not have to spend the evening by myself wondering what to eat. 

Here is the swag I got in a goodie bag from my apartment and a few things from the first day. 


Here are the pics of my first apartment: 







I stayed in this quaint apartment for the first week in San Jose. It was nice, and I got to know some really fun people while I was there...even though I lived alone. 

SUNDAY
I was picked up for church by a kid who has now become a good friend. He said to look for a black prius, so I was expecting just him...Pretty soon, up rolls a prius and 4 men jamming out to not Sunday music. Haha, I started laughing. Binh got out of the car and asked, "Are you Kitt?!" When I said yes, he hopped out and opened the door so I could sit in the front seat. I seriously felt like the girls on the Pink Bible P&P when they are going to church...hair blowing everywhere and jamming to some tunes. They were a funny bunch of kids. 

MONDAY
First day at eBay!! Wow, it was pretty fun and very exhausting. I enjoyed getting to know people. I was one of two undergrad interns, the tallest, one of two white girls, and the only one from BYU…the only Mormon. Jesse Beckom asked me straight up if I was a Mormon, he’s the first and I’m sure many more to come. He’s also an Olympic athlete…no big deal. He was on the men’s bobsled team and is down here to get some experience in business so he can move forward with a career. I worked out when I got home and then went to the Asian market with Jesse to see all the crazy random and scary stuff they have there. Then we went to Burger King to get cash. He's a pretty dang good body guard I'd say. :)


 Yes, this is a pez machine wall.
I was a bit over dressed...believe it or not. 

TUESDAY
A pretty good first day on the job. I actually met my team. They are all super nice. I am doing training with a lady who is in Texas! Welcome to a global company. I spent the day on the phone and watching her share her screen with me. Pretty crazy. I got a fancy new computer that is touch screen!! Ahhh! Haha, wish I could keep it. I ate my first Vietnamese food today, and it was pretty good. I enjoyed it! Lunch was funny with these three ladies. They found out I was Mormon and were kind of horrified/surprised. We had an interesting conversation about young marraiges…Connie thought she was young at the age of 26! What a different culture I am in. This is going to be fun! 
This is Jesse's hand, not mine haha.

THURSDAY
We had a work social where we played Bocci ball, indoors, on a bocci ball court/bar.Who has ever heard of that?! Most of my co-workers drank while we were there. Such an interesting phenomenon that it is. I have now seen alcohol at work twice...there was a baby shower on my first day, which there was wine at. I didn't drink...just in case you were wondering. I am surrounded by interesting humor and words all day, I will need to work to make sure I don't repeat. ;) I won this for being the only person on my team that didn't leave the game part way through...we kind of made a come back too. 
It says, "Kitt Bryce, Preseverance Under Fire"
My name plate.

FRIDAY
I got asked on a date...kinda. I moved into a new place that is absolutely ridiculously nice...here are some pics. But, I planned to watch a movie with Kelly because she helped me move and I now had a nice lounge and theater room in the complex to watch movies. He ended up joining us instead of doing what he thought about doing...maybe a date later...we'll see. 








SATURDAY
The kid who asked me out called up and said he ran into someone from the ward and they were heading to the beach in Santa Cruz!! So, we joined the fun! It was awesome! It got cold at night, but it was the perfect day. I wish I had some pics to share about this, but it didn't work out. I thoroughly enjoyed myself tho. I loved playing in the sand, water, and sun. It was relaxing and beautiful. It was seriously a day and evening trip. I didn't get home until about 11. Long day, but full of fun! I hope we get to go to the beach often. 

SUNDAY
I am going to stay in the MV ward. I just grew too close to the people in a short time and I don't want to leave. I enjoyed a fireside from Kris Anne that night about the brain. It was again solidified that I am a left brained person. Interesting...but, that's how every test has resulted. I enjoyed Sunday, although they are usually busy. 

Off to another week of work. I hope you have enjoyed reading. If I get too boring, let me know and I will tone it down. 

One thing I have learned already, is staying close to the Savior is so important. Putting the Gospel first can be hard, especially when it comes to daily stuff. But, when you do it, you are blessed. 

Take care.

-the tall girl


1 comment:

  1. Wow, it sounds like such a cool adventure! I am glad you are keeping the Savior first because it will keep you safe in the environment you are in. I love both your apartments and am so jealous of he beach. Have a blast little sister.

    ReplyDelete