This week I did the most Coloradoan thing I have done since
moving here, I camped then hiked two Fourteeners. I didn’t know what a
Fourteener was until I moved here and someone told me Colorado has 53.
Fourteeners are mountains with peaks above the elevation of 14,000 feet. A
group decided to camp on Friday and hike two peaks on Saturday, so I figured I might
as well give it a shot.
We headed up to Beuno Vista on Friday after work. It took
about two and a half hours to get there, so I was very grateful for the group
that had gotten there early to help set up camp. I roasted a few s’mores
chatted and enjoyed the company. We headed to bed early because we planned to
be hiking at 3:30 on Saturday morning.
 |
| Sitting around the campfire before bedtime. |
It took me forever to fall asleep, so I probably only got a
couple hours of sleep. I was grateful for what I could get. Micaela had a
headlamp she let me borrow, and we headed out to the trail by 3:45. Esto
decided not to come, he was too tired from the Fourteener they did on Friday
before those who had to work got there. The trail was steep and even at the beginning
I could feel this was going to be a tough hike. We started with a lot of switch
backs, taking short breaks, but trudging on. Anna and Music fell behind the
rest of the crew early on. We found out later they continued, but altitude sickness
crept in and they turned around. We probably started our hike around 10,000
feet, but most of the hike was above the tree line. The shadows protected us
from the morning sun that we desperately needed to warm us. As we continued up the
never ending switchbacks, the breaks increased. My lungs felt tight and my
heart was beating very fast, despite how slow we were climbing. Wind increased
as we got higher and without the sun my hands became numb so I put on gloves
and my windbreaker. Even with these, when summiting I was still frozen! My teeth
were chattering and legs shaking. We summited Mt. Belford around 7:30, then
continued over to Mt. Oxford.
 |
| This was towards the beginning of the hike, when we were able to stop using headlamps. Looking up at Mt. Missouri. |
 |
| This was almost to the top of Belford, but a great view of the mountain ranges. |
 |
Annie, Sarah, and I resting before our final ascent to Mt. Belford.
|
 |
| Again working our way to the top in the early morning. |
 |
| On top of Belford, 14,203 feet, look at the views in the background. |
 |
| Some of the groupies, we're missing Kevin and Kenny. They already headed to Oxford. |
We dropped elevation rather quickly on the saddle, and thankfully it
got much warmer! It was an additional mile and a half to Mt. Oxford. Summiting Mt.
Oxford seemed a little easier, although I still had to take several breaks along
the switchbacks. Mt. Oxford was warmer, you can see I didn't have my gloves on anymore. The wind was still roaring, but we enjoyed the views,
ate some snacks, then headed back to Belford around 9. I was so confused by the
time, I felt like we summited Oxford around 11, but it was still early morning
and many other people were just starting to hike as we headed back.
 |
| On top of Oxford, 14,160 feet. |
 |
| The entire group on Oxford. |
 |
| Some of us being silly. |
 |
| Jumping for joy on Oxford with Belford in the background. |
 |
The views, I just can't get enough!
|
Smiles hurt himself while hiking up, so he was limping the
rest of the way back and using trek poles to help support. He went much slower
than usual, so I stayed behind him and kept an eye on Annie who is a very
cautious downhill hiker. Climbing back to Belford was very difficult, we paused
often. We did see a marmot, which was really awesome! I had never heard of it
before but it looks like a combination of a beaver and a squirrel…not as big as
a beaver though. It lives in the rocks, and it really liked staring at us. We summited
Belford, ate some more food, and continued down the mountain. I moderated
between Smiles, Annie, and Sarah…making sure they were all good to go. We
determined it was best to get down the mountain and too the tree line for shade
before waiting for Annie. She made it down safely and we continued on. We
enjoyed taking pictures of a mountain goat, a really ugly one trying to shed its
winter coat. We crossed a beautiful creek and enjoyed chatting our way down the
mountain. We met up with the rest of the crew around 3 that afternoon at the
trailhead. Almost 12 hours hiking, 33,500 steps, and 12 miles.
 |
| This is the saddle heading back to Belford. |
 |
| The shedding mountain goat, I tried to get a selfie but I haven't mastered that skill yet. |
 |
| The pretty creek we passed. |
What a great feeling it was to successfully summit those two
mountains, and to do one twice! It is still a little hard to believe we made
it! Above tree line, there were many beautiful flowers. I was impressed with
the vegetation that could grow so high and add so much beauty. When I was up so
high on a mountain, looking at the tops of other mountains below and all around,
I realized how small I am. Nature is beautiful, with so much order and beauty. I
was grateful I could be outside enjoying it! I am so grateful the Savior took
time to create such a glorious place for us to live.
I talked a little bit with
Smiley about the metaphors that can be drawn from hiking. Many times as we
hiked up, it was helpful to see the peak at the top and know it was our goal.
Other times, we had to focus on the road straight in front of us in order to
not be discouraged. In life, sometimes we are blessed to look into our future
and see the blessings the Lord has in store by reading our patriarchal
blessing. But, those magnificent promises can sometimes be a bit discouraging
if we don’t feel like we are good enough or have self-doubts…this is when we
must focus on the road right in front of us and take it at our own pace.
Slowing down allows us to have the energy we need to continue to the summit and
keep moving one switchback at a time. The road is often not easy, but when you
are on the right path it will always be worth it in the end and you receive many
blessings along the way.
Needless to say, we ate food, headed home, showered, and
went to bed. We were exhausted! I am so grateful for the good group I was able
to hike with and the friendships that grew.
Until next week.
-the tall girl
No comments:
Post a Comment