Monday, June 10, 2013

I try to save lives.

Wow, weeks have flown by. I have had some crazy fun and I am ready for more. :) I love work, and I have exciting new adventures all the time. I call them exciting and I will write about one of them today. Last weekend we had family reunion and boy, it was a blast! I love my family so much and I enjoyed every minute I got to spend with them. They are so great. We met up in Colorado and went hiking, kayaking, swimming, barbecuing, Frisbeeing, walking, and so on. I didn't want to leave, but I have been playing hard since I got back. I have been to Tiny Peaks 4 times in the last three days. Yes, I went twice yesterday. I have just been playing and it has been wonderful! I love working three days and having four days off. Well, my funny story happened at work, so here it goes. 

One day, they were doing a blood drive at work, on the 26th floor. It was the last day to donate. I was personally terrified to do so and I always have been. Giving blood has always been a personal fear of mine and I have never, ever had the desire. This drive was different though, I felt guilty for not giving. The afternoon was rolling by and there was about two hours of the blood drive left, and they hadn't met their quota. So, they needed more blood. Prince and Spunky came into Intern Alley and asked if we had donated. We all replied no, but they hounded us to find out why we hadn't. Joy is too tiny to donate, and Writer passes out every time...therefore, the focus turned on me. Prince guilt tripped me into it. He went and found another person who had never done it and said, you can come with her, and you will save three lives with your blood! How could I possibly say no, and lately I have been working on facing my fears...so this was one I could check off the list if I just went and did it. But, I was trembling and nervous. As I looked out at this drive, I realized why I feared it. There are these chairs that many people sit it and give blood. You aren't super far from the other people, so it seems very unsanitary. Plus, as you are sittin in line you see these boxes that read "HUMAN BLOOD. DO NOT EXPOSE TO EXTREME TEMPERATURES." Bleh, oh, doesn't it just make your stomach turn? I tried to stop thinking about that after a while. I just couldn't do it. 

Prince left to go back to work once I was up there and staying for sure. Joy was my support system and Spunky helped me out too. They stood by me and distracted me and I filled up the pint bag in 4 minutes 43 seconds...the fastest time my nurse had had all day. I was very proud. I didn't feel shaky, or light-headed, so I was extremely blessed. I didn't even really prepare by drinking lots of water either. 

I was sitting eating lots of sugar, drinking water and juice, and talking with Spunky and Joy. We were laughing and then we thought of how we could make up a dramatic story about what happened to me while I was giving blood, so we could get back at Prince. I knew we had to get him to come from the 7th floor to the 26th floor to be able to even pull it off. So, Spunky hurries downstairs and runs into Prince's office and says, "You will not believe what happened to her! They had to stick her a few times, and then it took her forever to fill the bag. She finally finished and she stood up and started passing out. She's probably laying on the floor still!" Prince was beside himself and they raced back up. The whole way up he was feeling so bad, and Spunky did a great job of suppressing her laughter. They rush around the corner to find me eating the snacks. Prince had a very concerned look on his face and said, "Spunky told me what happened (keep in mind I had no idea what Spunky had told him), I am so sorry. Are you okay?" I replied that I'd be alright. He was so frightened for me. Then, we all cracked and started laughing. I told him the truth and he just turned and walked away. We got him sooooooo good. Bahaha, we ran with the story and everyone on the floor was laughing hysterically when they heard the story. Prince is usually the prankster, so getting him as good as we did was an unusual feat. :) 

Welp, I have a few more funny stories, but this is all I can write right now. I have to go back to work. But, I hope I made you laugh. 

Peace out.

-the tall girl

No comments:

Post a Comment