Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Week 8 - Happy 4th of July!!

I cannot believe it is the end of my eighth week here! It blows my mind to think of it. Time is flying and I am starting to feel sad I have to leave all these fun adventures and friends behind, but all good things must come to an end. I had a great week full of visitors and less work...because of the holiday!

MONDAY
During our mentor session, we go to hear from the chief marketing officer. She was awesome! She had so much spirit. She talked about the value of mentors and the support they can provide. She also talked about how to be a good mentee. I hope I can be a good mentor to the girl I am working with.

What a treat it was to meet up with a friend for dinner. BroFrank is the first person I have seen since being out here that actually knows me and knows me outside of the last three months. It was refreshing! We were able to catch up and talk with one another about the fun things we have been up and about the ward back in Cougar town. We ate delicious food and I showed him my apartment. Seeing him made me miss my other wonderful friends from Cougar town, but it gave me a breath of fresh air. Thank goodness for business trips that send people my way :)

TUESDAY
We went bowling as interns! They had a row of food that was utter temptation...everything was my weakness. Chicken tenders, pizza, mozzarella sticks, cookies, chips, salsa, etc. My mouth continues to water just thinking about it! Of course, we didn't eat it all, so they set to-go boxes out...I filled mine and got dinner for the next couple of days. Bowling was fun. I think my best was 123, and everyone was asking me how I got so professional...whereas normally, in bowling, I am the worst with the group I am competing. I guess that extra tuition for my bowling class paid off.

Me, my shoes, and my lane.
the food...

WEDNESDAY
I actually got to relax at home! Crazy! I haven't had a night to myself for a long time. I enjoyed the break and spent it writing last weeks blog post for you to read.

THURSDAY
I took the day off work! I got to sleep in and then I spent the day with my lovely friends from Cougar town. We left at about 9:30 and headed to Santa Cruz! I feel like I have been there a lot recently. But, we went to a beautiful beach! I can't remember the name, but it was gorgeous. It was cloudy for most of the morning and the sun eventually came out so we could play in the water. Smiley and Reader collected a lot of shells to take home with them. Plus, we actually saw living sand dollars! They are dark purple and they have all these hairs on the bottom that move. It is kind of creepy but awesome! We built a sand castle that we heard people talk about! They made comments and asked other people if they had seen it. It was legit...especially since we didn't have any tools except our bare hands. The deep trench around it saved it for a long time, until the tide rose. The water was freezing as usual, but the three of us dove in head first just for the thrill. The sun was beautiful and we were freezing, so of course we laid out to dry. Unfortunately, we didn't think of sunscreen so we all got a little lobster-like.

I made it back in time for my ultimate Frisbee game. My team got destroyed. I am used to playing on teams where I am the worst Frisbee player...now I am on a team where I am the best Frisbee player...that isn't a good thing! But, as my Papa told me when I told him how frustrated I was, "Little humble pie can be frustrating." ...yes, yes it can.

FRIDAY
Happy Fourth of July!!!!! I love this holiday! In the morning I tried to catch up on some work, but from 2 on, I partied! At the Calls', there were probably about 400 young single adults that went through from the time of 5 to 7. Crazy!!! There were a ton of people and it was a lot of fun. I met some new people, but enjoyed the pool, ice cream, burgers, volleyball, and the sunshine. It was the perfect day! Curly, was adamant that I go to Santa Cruz to watch the fireworks. He promised it would be memorable because they can only do illegal fireworks there...no city show or anything. I was planning to go to the hill and watch the entire valley of fireworks, but he kept insisting that I come. So, I sought the opinions of my Cougar Town friends and they said to go, so I went. It was definitely memorable, but not exactly in the way we were expecting. We pulled up to the beach and the police were surrounding it and monitoring all who entered, there were big spotlights shining on the beach to make sure no one shot anything off, and trucks patrolling the area. We tried to find a semi-dark spot, but it was kind of foggy and we spent most of the time looking back and forth all around us to see where they were coming. It was fun to see them from the beach...but, they weren't shooting off like crazy as we expected. Someone did happen to sneak to the beach and plant a few about 50 yards from us, so we felt the strong boom and awesomeness of those two fountain fireworks but that was about it. On our way out, we saw a bunch of people gathered on the street. Our curious souls dragged us over and we saw a house completely in flames. We think it started from a firework gone bad. I think everyone was okay, but it was sad to watch it burn. We went and got pizza in order to let the traffic die and then headed home. It was a fun evening and great to celebrate the freedom of our country!

SATURDAY
I threw a party at mi casa and it was off the hook! I found out we were only supposed to have 2 guests per apartment...I broke that rule about 8 times. I think there were 16 people who came. The only reason I found that out was because as we headed to the pool, the person at the front thought he'd be clever and just reach over the gate and open it up instead of waiting for me to open it with the fob. Well, someone was watching and saw this big group of people come in and the first reach over and open it. They automatically called management saying a group of people who didn't live here just entered...so, management came out to investigate. Luckily, I had a good relationship with management and they said it was okay. Kelly then played the role of going and getting everyone who came late so I could stay with the guests at the pool just in case something happened again.

I told people they could bring a snack if they wanted, and every single person brought something! I was so surprised! I didn't think we would have anything besides the cookies I made. We partied at the pool and hot tub for about an hour and half until every one arrived. Those who swam came back to my apartment and changed and the others went to the theater to make sure no one came to take it. The three girls that swam went and changed first, Suh had come home and came out of the restroom while all the guys were just waiting in our living area. She was pretty surprised to see 10 guys just chillin in the apartment without seeing me or another girl. We watched the Adjustment Bureau, which was actually a pretty good movie. It was fun to have everyone over and it made it feel a little more like home. I am grateful so many people came and I hope I have another one soon.

SUNDAY
Curly specifically invited me to a game night and birthday party at his house, so of course I had to go. He took the time to catch me after Sunday School and tell me in person. We played Quelf...which required me a to sing a song in my best country love voice and later dance and sing to my favorite disco song. It was pretty ridiculous...only a few other people had to do something as embarrassing as my tasks. I was grateful I went and exhausted by the end of this eventful weekend. Sorry I don't have more pictures to entertain you in this post.

Thanks for reading yet another post. Time is ticking down...Stay tuned for more tall girl adventures next week.

Peace out.

-the tall girl

1 comment: