Memorial Day Weekend
A little last minute, I decided to come to Virginia for the weekend. I am so glad I did. It was pretty good weather when I arrived, so we hopped back into the car and went to the cemetery. I saw Grandma’s headstone for the first time and it really is beautiful. Grandpa did a good job picking it out. We had a few flowers to put out and it was sweet to see Grandpa care for the headstones of his dear wife, mother, and grandmother. He was cleaning them off in this picture.
We went to the green house for dinner and had Brady Burgers. They were yummy! Grandma and Grandpa Studley were there eating the same time as us, so it was fun to catch up. Auntie K made a beautiful spread for Grandpa to be able to put there. Oma wanted me to pick out something to plant for her, but there were so many choices and I was grateful when Auntie K took pity and helped me. I think it turned out alright. We brought more water and a scrub brush and finished cleaning all the relative’s headstones. This took most of our afternoon. It was rainy and cold until we went to the cemetery so we have just enjoyed being home.
![]() |
| The beautiful greenhouse! |
Sunday afternoon we went to Auntie K and Uncle J’s house for dinner after church. We ate beef that had never been frozen, and it was delicious! I wish I could eat meat like that everyday. The Vawdrey's came up to join us after they got through with their church meetings. We enjoyed dinner and then took another trip up to the cemetery. I was grateful I could watch as their little family put flowers on their brother's graves. It was a sweet experience and a flood of emotions. Grandpa insisted I bring my phone and take good pictures of the headstone with all the flowers to send out, so here they are.
Once we got back, I convinced a few more people to play Chinese Checkers, and Grandpa won again!!! He is so good at that game!
Grandpa’s cats are still around and two of them will let you pick them up. One is very fluffy and I loved holding them, they are still small. I don’t know why Grandpa’s cats are the only cats I like…any other cat comes near me and I don’t want to touch it. Matthew and I went out to play with them on Monday morning. They were pretty cuddly, but then one of them hopped out of my arms and gave me a good scratch on my hand.
When I got home from Grandpa's I went directly to FHE. We were playing a game called Scoops, which sounded pretty fun. You use windshield wiper fluid containers with the bottoms cut off as scoops. Then, you have goals that are trashcans that you just have to hit. You pass the ball in your scoops, no out of bounds, and you go for the goal. Of course, me being me, I was on the first team to play and I was wondering why all the girls were sitting out...well, there were a few playing. About one minute into the game I was playing defense a couple feet away from a guy. As he passed the ball, it flew right at my eye. I was wearing my glasses, one of the lenses flying about ten feet away and the frame stayed on my face. I felt intense pain in my eye, but I was more worried about my glasses. Without vision insurance they would be very expensive to replace. My bishop graciously picked up the lens and brought me off the court. He worked until he got the lens back in. I was intently watching him ignoring my throbbing eye. His daughter asked how it was and then kind of freaked out when she saw it. Bishop called over his wife and other counselor. One went to get ice and the others took me to the bathroom to put a cold cloth on it. They were so sweet to me.
They wanted to take me to the ER or Urgent Care, but I insisted I was fine. I did a agree to go see an optometrist the next morning. Brother Sorensen was so sweet and took me to his doctor and got me an early morning emergency appointment. After quite a few tests, the doctor informed us it was only deeply bruised and I was lucky to have been wearing my glasses. If I had not been, the ball probably would have hit my eye directly and done damage to the cornea and other important things. He also said my glasses lens had not been scratched and the rest of the frame looked to be intact perfectly. I feel so blessed. I wasn't wearing my glasses when I was driving and almost didn't put them on before going into FHE. Right before going in, I decided to put them on. I am so glad I heeded.
I must have looked pretty pitiful that night, I received a lot of charity. One guy brought me banana bread. Another girl texted me to see how I was doing. My visiting teacher brought me flowers. A couple girls made me cookies. Brother Sorensen even told me today that he was sorry that it happened to me, but he was grateful it did because he felt like he got to know me so much better and feels like he has gained another daughter. What love these good people have!
Here is a snapshot of the eye healing process. It's almost completely gone now, only a small dark red spot by the green part of the eye. Brother Sorensen insists on seeing it every time I see him.
It was a fun weekend at Grandpa's, even though it had to end with an injury. I always hate leaving Virginia. It is harder now that Grandpa is alone. But, he is always cheerful and grateful. I am amazed at his strength. I am so grateful we got to play and enjoy our time together. I look forward to my next trip up.
More fun stories to come, that's enough for one post.
Peace Out.
-the tall girl











Wow what adventures.
ReplyDelete